Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Project #1.....Eight Hundred Dollars and Unfinished


This is my first sewing project in 30 years and already there are problems. My inspiration came from this top I spotted in a catalogue that I really liked, and thought it would be a great first project. I scanned the pattern books and found this which looked pretty close to my knock off, and even checked PR to anticipate any potential problems I may encounter (none posted). After finding what I thought was the perfect fabric I then began my project. As I was cutting out the pattern techniques were coming back to me that I had forgotten about. I was feeling good, and the creativity was flowing. I was having visions of wearing my trendy knock off and bragging about how little it costs (under $10.00 including notions and sale pattern) to make. Then the problems started.....due to my body shape (large chest smaller hips/waist) I was refitting the top every time I sewed a seam. This was a time consuming process as I had to stand on a stool in front of the bathroom mirror and pin the garment onto myself each time. My fitting "technique" was effective until I got to the side seams........then I realized this was no longer going to work ( I stuck myself several times with the pins, and even got it stuck half way over my head once). I decided I needed a dress form. I looked around, read reviews and found one I could purchase from Joanne's fabric for less than $150.00 (they were having a special 1/2 price sale with free shipping). After going back and forth several times whether I should or shouldn't I rationalized I could work an extra shift (OT!) to pay for it. At this point I was kind of stuck to complete the blouse as I needed the form to sew the side seams. I figured I could at least get the armhole bias tape sewn when the motor on my sewing machine burned up........my old reliable 30 year old Kennmore bit the dust. So what to do? I went out and purchased a new machine (another Kenmore that was on sale for $650.00). It sews like a dream and I am thrilled with it. As of now it has cost me about $810.00 to make this knock off I could have bought for $54.00. You might think I am discouraged at this point but I'm not. My dress form just arrived a few hours ago and I think I have it adjusted fairly close to my own measurements. I have 2 more overtime shifts to work before I have the time to get sewing again, but when I do I will definitely post photos. That is if nothing else goes wrong.........

3 comments:

The solemn cat said...

Good luck with your dress and blog!

Audrey said...

Whoa, $810 cost for a knockoff blouse. That is a "Haute Couture" price. Another way to look at the situation is that you will use the dress form and new machine (my friend swears by Kenmore sewing machines) to make so many other neat things. Hope you get back to sewing soon!

MsMica...Sewnista in the making said...

Lol... oh, i SO feel your pain about a 'simple' little top that 'cost' 900bucks!!... i keep telling myself its the "ffeeelliinngg" of knowing i made it!...