Thursday, October 23, 2008

Simplicity 3774

Well except for the hem I finally finished my dress, and I have come to the realization I probably made more work for myself than was necessary. Since I don't know a lot about pattern alterations (I'm currently taking a class) I more or less fit as I go. The fabric is a cotton/polyester? woven blend with stretch. I cut a size 16 as I need every bit of the 38 inch bust, and I was not sure of the amount of ease this pattern had to offer. The bodice was not difficult except to get the crossover point to where it fits well, but is not too revealing. I lined the bodice and shaped cap sleeves in white giving it a nice finish on the inside. The skirt on the other hand was another matter. I made the darts in the back, and the pattern is designed to have pleats in the skirt front. I basted it together and not only was the skirt huge, the pleats looked awful. I took it apart and recut the skirt without the pleats and sized it down to a 12. The skirt is now straight and fits well. Since I'm short waisted I also removed about an inch in width on the midriff section before joining the skirt to the bodice. Narrowing the midriff really improved the overall fit of the dress. I like the fabric because it has that little bit of stretch giving it a nice fit without being tight, but it frays badly. I serged all the seams, and inserted a center zipper instead of the lapped zipper that was called for. I'm pleased with the end result, but it was a lot more work than I expected. Next up: something fast and unfitted for some instant gratification!


Gwen said...

Hi! Just stopping by to let you know that I’ve tagged you for a meme – only, of course, if you’d like to play! :)
You can see the full details on my blog:

Faye Lewis said...

Very nice looking dress. Thanks for commenting on my blog. I like the name you have for your blog.

Alviana said...

beautiful dress. hope to see pics u wear it. must be fabulous! :)